Section 5: Beyond the OGT: Helping Students Achieve Success
Success Suite Web Site
The Ohio Success Suite Web site (www.success.ode.state.oh.us) provides access to interactive practice tests, information about content standards and benchmarks, learning resources, and career and college planning resources and tools. These resources will strengthen students’ understanding of the Ohio Academic Content Standards and provide them with opportunities to see released questions.
In addition to the interactive practice tests, the OGT Success Suite also includes resources for students. The following screenshot shows a sample of the resources available:
- Retaking the OGT: Students who need to retake the OGT will find resources in this section for finding a mentor, meeting with a peer tutor, taking advantage of school and community programs, and using online resources to help prepare to retake the test. Students can also review the requirements for the OGT and alternative ways to meet the testing requirements. Resources for students with limited English proficiency are available, including samples of special test formats and links to online resources for English language learners.
- Success After the OGT: In this section, students will find information on graduation requirements, tips for high school course planning (including Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and Postsecondary Enrollment Options Program opportunities) and statistics that demonstrate the advantages of taking challenging course work in high school. Students can also review the Grade 11 and 12 benchmarks for Reading, Math, Social Studies, Science, and Writing.
- Preparing for the Future: Students will find online resources for exploring career options in this section, as well as tips on résumé writing. Students will also find descriptions of postsecondary degrees, as well as detailed information on the steps they should take to explore college programs, apply to the colleges of their choice, prepare for college interviews, seek out financial aid, and test their skills on selected college placement exams.
Teachers can use this Web site as an additional resource for standards-based instruction by
- Spending time in class or at a computer lab introducing the Web site to students and reviewing its features;
- Pointing out that students have access to online practice tests, as well as resources;
- Leading class discussions to find out how students are using the Web site and what resources and/or activities they find the most helpful;
- Encouraging students who have used the Web site to demonstrate what they have learned in class.